Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cowboy Cookies

I got this recipe from my sister in law years ago.  I love how different they are and you can really put anything in them that ya want.  These have just the right amount of cinnamon in them and all of the flavors just blend together so well.  I also did a little digging on trying to find out why they are called Cowboy Cookies, and I came across some information revealing that the recipe has probably been around for at least 60 years.  For whatever reason they were given this name, I love smelling them bake!  Plus my kids love them!  But really, what kid doesn't like a cookie?




Cowboy Cookies
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar ~ packed
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups oatmeal
1/2 package chocolate chips
1 cup nuts ~ of choice
Coconut ~ optional
1/2 package peanut butter or butterscotch chips ~ optional
Cream together shortening, sugar and brown sugar.  Add in eggs one at a time and vanilla.  Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  Mix in oatmeal, chips and nuts. (and any other goodies).  

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. 

No comments: