Monday, August 15, 2011

Navajo Tacos

 With all the fairs that are going on and everything.  They have been on my mind.  They smell amazing and look fantastic.  Wanting to make these, I could find my original recipe, so I searched on line and talked to a couple friends.  Here are the ideas of what friends suggested .... Chunks of Frozen Bread Loaves or Flatted Refrigerated Biscuits.  Then one gave an actual recipe for fry bread, but I didn't have time {nor Patience} to wait {dough needs to be chilled for 24 hours ....}  So, I took to the frozen bread loaves and about 3 different recipes and combined them all.  BUT I didn't have loaves, I had frozen rolls .... less dough to thaw! 


Navajo Tacos
1 pound ground beef
1/2 of a small onion ~ chopped
1 can chili beans
1/4 teaspoon oregano
fresh ground pepper ~ to taste
a pinch of red pepper flakes
1-3 Frozen rolls per person {depends on how big you want fry bed}
Oil 

In large skillet cook beef and onions till no meat longer pink and onions are tender, drain drippings.  Add in oregano and can of chili beans, heat through.  Remove from heat and cover to keep warm. 

In a sepatate pan, add enough oil to cover bottom of pan {enough to fry}.  Smoosh rolls together or flatten rolls out to desired size and fry in oil till cooked, golden brown.  Top cooked fry bread with beef mixture and other desired toppings. 

Topping ideas: 
Cheese
Lettuce
Green Onions
Chopped Tomato
Salsa
Sour Cream 
Olives
Jalapenos Slices

No comments: