Thursday, May 5, 2011

White Bread

Some of you know, but for those who don't ... I rarely buy bread.  I just make it.  Yes it time consuming.  But, I love it.  There is no store bought bread that even comes close to the goodness of homemade bread.  I love the smell it leaves in the house.  On average, I usually do about 2 batches a week.  That gives me a total of 6 loaves.  {1 batch = 3 loaves} I then just wrap them up, number them and stick them in the freezer.  {Start with the lowest number first. Oldest to Newest.}  This way if I am sick, or am not able to do bread, we have a little stash.  When I went to delivery my youngest, about a year ago, we have 15 loaves out in the freezer. 

Little tip with bread making ...Measurements of all ingredients should be exact.


White Bread
1 package yeast {1 pkg = 2 1/4 tsp}
2 cups warm water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine ~ melted
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs ~ beaten
7-8 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Once dissolved, add in sugar, butter, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour.  Beat until smooth.  Stir in enough remaining flour {about 3 1/2 cups for me} to form a soft dough.  Once dough is mixed, turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.  Place dough in greased bowl.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until dough has doubled in size. Once doubled, Punch down.  Shape into loaves and place dough into 3 greased bread pans.  Cover & let rise again until doubled {Doubled=Top of dough should be even or little above pan rim}

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bread is golden brown.  Remove from pans to wire cooling racks.  Let cool completely before wrapping.

No comments: